Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Coffee and a Compliment

This morning on my way to work I stopped in Dunkin' Donuts to grab a medium french vanilla coffee with skim milk and two Sweet and Lows. Prior to my coffee run, I spent a good twenty minutes at home actually straightening my hair, putting on makeup, and choosing jewelry that wasn't just my go-to jewelry but, in fact, actually matched my outfit. Feeling somewhat confident and attractive, but still playing the "Compare Myself to Every Woman on the Street" game as I walked along the West Side, I entered the Dunkin' Donuts, thinking only one thought: "Make sure you say FRENCH VANILLA really loud so they don't screw up your order again."

As I was standing at the counter, fishing through my change purse for a nickel, the guy placing my order looked at me and said, "You look so gorgeous, do you know that?"

Sometimes, that's all it takes. I think it's going to be a good day.

No comments: