Saturday, May 9, 2009

I Would Rather Be Asleep


Not to say I don't love writing on this blog - because I totally do - I just have a long day tomorrow full of an acting presentation (involving this great monologue where I get to be a crazy stalker bitch), a second round of callbacks for the fall show, lunch/dinner (linner?) with someone great, followed by putting everything I own into boxes. So some sleep would be nice. Not to mention I'll be gearing myself up for Sunday, which happens to be The Well-Intentioned Ex-Boyfriend's graduation from college. That I am attending. Weird, right?

How did that come about, you ask? I know, it's surprising. One would think from previous entries that I would not be privy to such an occasion - namely getting to see him wear a dress and a funny hat and commence. And before I tell you briefly how it transpired, I just have to answer something that I know you all lay awake at night pondering: 

Does The Well-Intentioned Ex-Boyfriend read this?

The answer is yes, he does. And sometimes he quotes it to my face or my phone, which is not nearly as strange as it sounds and is generally endearing. Also, he thinks it's funny. There, now you can all rest peacefully.

But unfortunately, I cannot. Too many thoughts swimming through my head coupled with too many attempts at falling asleep early that have failed miserably. I think it's a combination of stress about moving MY WHOLE LIFE into a new apartment that is not even nearly ready to hold MY WHOLE LIFE. I mean, I don't even have a bed yet. What am I going to sleep on? When am I going to paint it? Who can I hire to do all this for me? For free? Ugh. Curse adulthood!

Beyond that though, I'm nervous and excited for this whole graduation biz. I mean, it's nothing new to see The Well-Intentioned Ex-Boyfriend at this point, but it's getting down to crunch time, and by crunch time I mean "Quit Playing Games (With My Heart)" time (Thank you, Backstreet Boys.) This sassy lady waits for no man. Except that's a lie, because I've clearly been doing a lot of waiting. It's just a matter of how long I can wait before I start to feel trampled as opposed to slightly used. It's all a balancing act. And it doesn't help that my graduation invitation essentially sounded a little something like this... (Note: Artistic liberties have been taken. Deal with it.)

The Well-Intentioned Ex-Boyfriend: Uhh, I'm going to pick up my graduation tickets this week and um, well, I'll probably get some extras. And I mean, I think graduation's stupid and I don't care about it but, uhh, if you want to... I guess you can come.

Cupcake Lover: [Pause] ...are you inviting me to your graduation?

The Well-Intentioned Ex-Boyfriend: Well like, I don't care either way because I think graduation's ridiculous but uhh... I guess it would be... it's always nice to have you around.

Cupcake Lover: [Pauses again.] So wait, do you WANT me to come to your graduation?

The Well-Intentioned Ex-Boyfriend: If you want, you're welcome to come.

Cupcake Lover: [Sighs a tired, beaten down sigh.] Ohhh, you...

Eventually, in a separate phone conversation, we got to a point where the words "I want you to come" actually came out of his mouth, which is a big step. So I bought a dress, told him to warn The Well-Intentioned Ex-Family that I'd be there, and have planned to spend my Sunday up in cow country for what is probably the last time ever. Cue shoulder shrug. By the way, it's a super cute dress - an outfit that just screams Supportive Sort of Ex-Girlfriend. And if that position didn't exist before, it totally does now.

But enough about The Well-Intentioned Ex-Boyfriend, who probably no longer enjoys my blog considering I just wrote more about him than I normally do. (By the way, do you ever wonder why I don't abbreviate his long-winded title? It's because I really don't like the way it looks: TWEIB. That's so not cute. Plus, it sounds too much like "Dweeb" if you say it out loud. Say it. See?) I've been searching for other things to write about in life, ranging from ideas like "Now I drink peppermint tea. How odd!" to "How about those stupid Facebook quizzes? Ridiculous!" but nothing has really been clicking. So I opted to write about what I'm actually thinking about. I mean, for a really long time my Facebook Religious Views said "Honesty." And since Facebook dictates my life, I guess I have to stick to it.

But now, as the cartoon above clearly states, I Am Determined To Go To Sleep. For real. So I'm going to hop back in bed and give it another go, counting sheep and thinking good thoughts, etc... Have a good night, Cupcake Lovers. Sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite!

No comments: