Thursday, February 5, 2009

What Would You Do?


Yes polar bear, you may has an iceberg, but I has a fan!

I've been prompted to write again, because "the people" are dying for more! I've had requests (okay... request, singular) to put my exceptional prowess with the written word to work once again (sarcasm?). 

So I decided to write about yet another thing I saw on television. Inspired right?

Okay, cut me some slack. Tonight, while on the phone with the Boyfriend, I said something along the lines of "Tomorrow won't be a very difficult day for me! It'll be a pretty easy day, in fact." Then I recounted all those things I had to do tomorrow and realized I have a 9:30 A.M. to 9:30 P.M. day ahead of me... at least. And I STILL considered it an easy day.

Needless to say, I'm really effing busy. (We keep it clean here on WMWC, no actual F-bombs allowed. Although, if you know me, you know I have a really awkward habit of crying out "EFF!" instead of the actual word, so it's really staying true to my own natural tongue.)

But no more silly chatter. Now for the meat of the story. 

I was watching some TV with my roommate (BiddyLuddy is her blog, so BL is what I'll call her, from here on) when we started watching this weird show where they put (fake) babies in hot cars or abused (fake) nannies in public to see what people would do... Would they call the cops to save the baby? Would they smash the window in? Would they tell the nasty employer who was abusing her nanny to back off? Would it make a difference if she was a white nanny or a black nanny?

So many moral dilemmas. SO MANY. And my reaction was simple: 

I wouldn't.

Go ahead, judge me, but I'm just not that way. It's not like I don't have a moral compass, I just don't have the balls to say "Hey, you spoiled bitch, step away from that nanny and treat her with dignity!" It's not in my makeup. I'm not genetically composed to stand up for strangers or break into cars to save babies. Sure, I'll alert the cops, but I'm no super hero.

But I guess what got me about this show was the fact that they made me feel GUILTY for that. Here's an example of a scene, in a Brooklyn coffee shop, done by actors:

Obnoxious young brat child: You're MY nanny! My mom pays you! You're worthless and stupid and you DO WHAT I TELL YOU TO!
Nanny (of varying ethnicities) in a calm voice: Your mom pays me to take care of you.
Obnoxious young brat child: YOU'RE STUPID! I'LL TELL MY MOM YOU DIDN'T DO THE LAUNDRY AND SHE WILL FIRE YOU!

Announcer: Amazingly enough, the man sitting in the corner of the store doesn't approach the little girl. In fact, not a single person comes to the nanny's aid. You terrible, terrible people.

Okay, he did not, in fact, add the "Terrible people" line. But that's what I heard in my head, because I knew that that little 12-year-old tyrant would have scared me away. And I guess this blog post only goes to show that I'm still grappling with my own mild-manneredness, and possible curiosity as to whether the (aforementioned) girl-fight side of me would show up and kick some bratty child ass. Or grab the nearest metal pole and save that poor overheating baby! I don't know it because I've never been put in a situation like it, but maybe I AM the type to spring into action!

Yeah, I'm going to go with that...

...except I'm also just going to advise everyone out there not to test this theory either. Because chances are, if your baby's in that backseat, it's turning purple before I break a window.

1 comment:

Alex said...

I think I would do something about the suffocating baby.

But for the bratty child, I think I would just shake my head and sent her mental Death Vibes.